Search This Blog

Monday, November 12, 2012

Red, White, and Blue

I've met many Koreans in my short time in Seoul who regard America as the Promised Land.  I assure them that, for many people, it is a great place to live, but try to convince them that the life South Koreans have carved out for themselves here on the peninsula is pretty darn good also.  I think most Koreans realize that, yet the allure of America is strong.  I've met teens whose lofty ambition is to one day set foot on America's hallowed shores.

I've heard America referred to as the "Beautiful Nation".  I've had Korean parents beam with pride as they tell me of their son's or daughter's daily life in Seattle or New York or Texas.  Every day, I see Korean students working diligently hoping to earn placement in America's universities.  I had a young Korean man on the subway relate to me the virtues and vision of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison.

It's enough to give an American in Korea an inflated sense of self-worth.  On a daily basis, I view the New York Times "Lens" blog which features current newsworthy photos shot around the world.  Hardly a week passes that there isn't a picture of an American flag being torched somewhere in the world and, I would guess, there's probably been a few set ablaze in Seoul occasionally by one advocacy group or another.  But, by and large, as an American in Seoul, there's no need to skulk through back alleys.  I am free to walk the streets with my head held high and have been greeted and embraced solely due to my nationality.

Although I've done little or nothing personally in my lifetime to earn such praise and admiration, I do know some folks in America who paid the price for the respect I'm given today.  I try to represent them well.

I am a living symbol.  To many Koreans whose paths I cross daily, I am the worldly embodiment of things and ideals that are good.  I'm a metaphor of a distant land called America, a land they hold in high esteem.  A land that, on its better days, still embraces freedom and a progressive pursuit of happiness, and continues to make strides in the right direction to allow more and more people to partake freely in that pursuit.

So, in this highly charged and emotional political season, I crossed Wolgye-ro into Dream Forest (how fitting) last Friday with a tribute to America in mind.  I searched for the red, white, and blue.

Here's what I found.

Red leaves...

...white dogs...


...and a blue truck.
It's not a Chevy, but the Kia nameplate has become part
of the American landscape,
which only serves to strengthen ties that bind.

No comments: