Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Conquering Yongmasan

Early autumn has arrived in Korea, summer's humidity is long gone, and temperatures are comfortable.  It's a splendid time to head for the hills.

It's been a few years since these flatlander legs have negotiated anything more taxing than Wisconsin coulee country ridges.  Not wanting to overdo it, Stacey and I sought out a relatively easy climb.  Mt. Achasan in east Seoul seemed a reasonable choice.  Some blogger rated it a beginner's trek that could be accomplished in sneakers.

A fun and interesting feature of Seoul is the proximity of mountain bases to subway stations.  You can throw on a backpack at home, hop on the nearest subway, and ride the metro system to a mountain of your choice.  The nearest trailhead is usually close at hand.

Our morning research revealed that the Achasan trailhead could well be somewhat challenging to locate after emerging from Achasan Station.  Wanting to hit the trail without delay, we nixed Achasan and opted for nearby Mt. Yongmasan.  The trailhead practically kisses Exit 2 of the subway station.

Being a weekday, there was not a steady stream of hikers to the trailhead, and a small amount of tricky manuvering through apartment complex grounds was required to locate it.  It wasn't a problem as we were offered advice by yet another friendly Korean put on earth through divine providence to ease our way.

The trail up Yongmasan is a mixed bag of easy going and challenging stretches.  The lower reaches are a breeze with numerous staircases in places.  There's a small, elevated pavilion clinging to the mountainside on the way up, and nearing it, the ascent steepens and is rope rail assisted.

When you reach the pavilion, you've earned a well deserved rest.  I was hoping maybe there'd be a beer cart.  That was my American way of thinking.

But this is fitness crazed Korea.  Adjacent to the scenic pavilion, halfway up a mountain accessible only by foot or helicopter, there's an exercise area outfitted with barbells and various fitness apparatuses.  I thought, "OK, you've gotta be kidding me.  I've just lost five pounds and have already polished off my water bottle.  Now, I should pump some iron?".  If I had been so inclined, I would have had to wait my turn, as buff Korean guys worked out all around me.  Not wanting to be a sissy, I did pose for a picture near the weight bench.  Very near.  But not too close.

So, after I was done not bench pressing large, heavy, iron weights, we continued on up the mountain.  The trail gradually increased in difficulty approaching the summit.  I planted my walking stick firmly and checked my footing carefully with each step.

Occasionally, some young, puma-like Korean gal would zip past me like I was standing still which, quite often, I was.  Age does have its limitations.  And some Koreans have remarkable agility.

Undaunted, we pressed on and did reach the summit.  I thought, after all my effort, I should claim it for America.  Much to my chagrin, there was already a flagpole set in concrete and a Republic of Korea flag waving proudly overhead.  Others had been here before me.

We took the obligatory snapshots chronicling our accomplishment, lingered a while, and then began our descent.  The way down is always easier because you can just roll a good share of the way.  That puts a lot less stress on the knees and I do hope to keep my originals for some time yet.

So, we landed with a thud back down at the trailhead, dusted off our britches, and caught the subway train home. 

One summit conquered.  Others await.



No comments: